Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Azulejos Tiles of Portugal

I just returned from my whirlwind trip to Portugal, I saw *so much* in the nine days I spent there, and I’ll do a recap post in the coming weeks of this magical country!

As you know, I’m always inspired by traveling to new cities and countries, for me the best thing in life is the intersection of travel and design. There was no shortage of ceramic tile inspiration in Portugal, in fact it’s one of the primary reasons I journeyed there, to witness it in real life and I was completely mesmerized by it. Every town I visited had its share of buildings covered in azulejos tile in incredible patterns, it filled me with such happiness seeing such beautiful tile around every corner.

In the 16th and 17th centuries, azulejos depicted religious or historical scenes, I saw many of them at the National Tile Museum in Lisbon and in churches and historical places. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Portuguese began using azulejos tiles in repeating motifs on buildings, and today they dominate the exteriors of small towns and larger cities. Azulejos tiles embellish not just the residences of Portugal but also churches, restaurants, fountains, and railway stations.

I captured dozens of tile images for my own inspiration files, here are some of the pictures I took as I strolled the streets that showcase the beauty of azulejos tiles on exteriors around Portugal. Notice the differences in the motifs, some are more modern geometrics, others are more intricate and old world, but all unique.

 

Beautiful aren’t they??

I had such a fantastic experience in this country, walking the streets of smaller towns like Albufeira and Aveiro and larger cities like Lisbon and Porto. The food, the wine, the people, the cafes, the vistas, they were all incredible! I’ll do a recap of my favorite experiences soon. :)

Via Architecture http://www.rssmix.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment